“When parents are involved in their children’s education at home, they do better in school. And when parents are involved in school, children go farther in school and the schools they go to are better.”—Anne Henderson and Nancy Berla, from A New Generation of Evidence: The Family Is Critical to Student Achievement
Research shows that when parents are involved in their children’s education, the children are more likely to:
- earn better grades.
- score higher on tests.
- pass their classes.
- attend school regularly.
- have better social skills.
- show improved behavior.
- be more positive in their attitude toward school.
- complete homework assignments.
- graduate and continue their education.
8 reasons to be involved:
- Your child benefits.
- We provide support for teachers.
- We provide resources for classrooms.
- Our number one goal is to get more parents connected to the school.
- We pledge to honor your time constraints. People are often reluctant to participate because they’re afraid they’ll get pulled into a black hole of never-ending time commit- ment. We won’t push you to commit more than you want to or are able to.
- Learn more about Brookvale and the envi- ronment where your child spends their day.
- We are welcoming. Meet nice people who share your concerns, many of whom are neighbors and peers.
- We have fun. This work is very rewarding.
The PTA supports our school by:
- helping to fund Science Camp
- providing scholarships to students
- giving money to each classroom
- landscaping in the Kindergarten playground
- paying for F.A.M.E. supplies
- providing playground equipment
- supporting the new playground map art
- providing picnic benches
- buying blinds for the Multipurpose Room
How can you get involved? Here is where to start:
- talk to your child’s teacher about volunteering in the classroom
- become a PTA “class rep”
- volunteer to help out at an event
- volunteer your skills or expertise
- attend a PTA meeting to find more opportunities
Please join us at our monthly PTA meetings to find out more ways that you can get involved. You can make a difference! We meet the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm at the school library.